Sunday, December 9, 2007

This shit is getting old, quickly: Dallas Xpress All Star Eddie Simmons dead at 27

Go to http://www.eteamz.com/ and look up the TUFL (go to the teams icon for the Dallas Xpress) site to see a tribute to my old teammate of 3 years , the best kick returner in the league with 5 TD returns, Eddie "lil black" Simmons. I first met this dude in 2005 playing with the Dallas Rough Riders, and later played with him on the Dallas Xpress in 2007. Always an upbeat dude , in spite of caring for a mother with cancer, Eddie leaves behind 3 kids. Hands down the best kick/punt returner I've ever played with, and a guy I liked a whole helluva lot, Eddie was fatally shot last week in an apparent dispute at a local barber shop. When I heard it on the radio , I thought it was just a mix-up, what with Eddie Simmons being a common name, but I was wrong. I already thought about the dude often with fond memories, now it's just intensified. I remember cracking jokes with him on the back of the team bus in March of this year and I already miss the sombich. Eddie, you were one of the good guys. Today was a tough day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Condolences...

Anonymous said...

Rip uncle Eddie