Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Big 12 South Preview: Texas A&M

The Ags enter year 5 of th' Franchione (pronounced Franchoney) program and after losing about 8 games in 10 years at home under R.C. Slocum, they've lost 9 in the past 4 years at College Station. Slocum was about defense and Franchione is about offense. DT Red Bryant, DE Chris Harrington, LB Misi Tupe and CB Danny Gorrer make up the best Wreckin' Cru in years, but this deal is still about O.


Best Player: (#13) -TE- Martellus Bennett - 6-7 - 248 - Kind of a wacky deal, because truly GREAT TEs are hard to find, and some things they do go unnoticed. Not Bennett, who is big, fast, agile (he has D-1 basketball ability) and strong. He is one of the few tight ends in recent memory who can go the distance on any play. Not only that Ag fan, he's only a junior

Player to watch: (#11) -RB- Jovorskie Lane -6-0- 274 - 19 TDs as a sophomore, Jo L is a LOAD. He is a momentum changing player and a perfect yin (power) to super soph (#3) RB Mike Goodson's (4.32 speed) yang. Jovorskie Lane is a true battering ram

Player successful season most hinges on: (#7) -QB- Stephen McGee - 6-3 -208 - I know, I know, QBs, get a lot of the play in my previews, I guess I just can't help myself, but the Big 12 is the best conference in the nation for QBs right now (6 of the top 15 in the nation, I believe) . McGee's thang is the ol' dual threat deal, he can run good (not great) and throw good (again not great), and he is one hell of a leader. If they beat Miami on national TV, look out

Why they will win the Big 12: It would take a perfect storm of everybody having their best seasons and just a lil' more. If the D-line is utterly dominating, the shit is not out of the question
Why they won't: The road schedule is a straight up gauntlet (Miami, TTech, Nebraska, Missouri and OU) and although the Texas game is at home, those boys will be pretty pissed off...I don't care who you are, you never want to see that train comin' to town


Predicted record: 8-4, Alamo Bowl

8 comments:

Los said...

Any chance this team can beat Texas this season?

Crassius Maximus said...

They've got 'em at home, that helps, so I think they have a great shot. Not to give away the rest o'the preview, but that could be Texas' only loss this year.

El Padrino said...

A&M is always a fiesty W

Crassius Maximus said...

Xpeciallly at College Station. I think it's probably pretty obvious I'm a closet UT (and PSU) fan, but I don't hate A&M like the Orangebloods and Technological Texans do. They (A&M) have good talent, and even tho' I'm not down wif all of the rituals and traditions I don't mind seein' th' Ags do well. Not at all. Anybody but mutherfuckin' Notre Dame and OU.

Crassius Maximus said...

Annd F Ohio State too.

Crassius Maximus said...

And USC.

Crassius Maximus said...

Screw Miami, FSU and the Gators too.

Crassius Maximus said...

Arkansas can kiss my ass as well.